Saturday 17 August 2013

A surplus of eggs!

The parents have chickens and most are now laying so there's about 4 or 5 eggs being laid a day. There's only so many omelettes they can get through so as family baker I can have a fair few.

I brought some home the other day
Lovely lovely eggs

But there's still loads left at their house. As I often cook or bake on a Friday, with a chilli for my grandma already in the aga, I decided to use up some eggs. 

First thing that came to mind was an egg custard tart. I don't like them personally but have always fancied making one.

There's tonnes of freshly grated nutmeg on the top and I loved grating up a whole nutmeg. Love that smell!

So here's the recipe. It's a combination of three different recipes, you should know me by now. The only issue was there was a fair bit of custard left after I'd filled the case. You could either use this for custard on another dessert or just use a bigger pie tin (I had enough dough left to make a bigger case I reckon)

Pastry:
150g plain flour
65g softened butter

Preheat oven to 180c.

In a food processor, mix the flour and butter together then add enough water for it to just come together. It should still look quite loose, therefore short. Tip out, knead into a ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Line a 7" tin (1" or more height - probably the higher the better then you might not have any custard mix left over like I did) and use baking beans

Blind bake for 15 minutes then remove the baking beans and bake for another 5 minutes or so until it looks cooked and starting to colour. Reduce the oven temperature to 150c


Custard: 
1 nutmeg grated 
3 eggs plus 2 yolks
140g golden caster sugar
300ml double cream
300ml full fat milk

Mix the eggs with the sugar. Heat the milk and cream gently until just simmering then pour over the eggs while mixing thoroughly to avoid scrambling.

Place the pastry case on a baking sheet and place into the oven, then with the door open and shelf out, pour in the custard filling and sprinkle with nutmeg

Bake for 50-60 minutes until it doesn't wobble. Cool and serve 



No comments:

Post a Comment