Wednesday 21 May 2014

Rhubarb continued

It's not much more than a month ago that I made a rhubarb and custard cake (it's a month and a day), but as I was perusing twitter this morning, I stumbled across a rhubarb and ginger loaf cake. I'm a big fan of the loaf cake and I'll tell you why:

1. It's just cake. No messing, no covering, no decorating, no filling, no piping. Just mix and bake. Simple

2. You can easily get hold of loaf tin liners so once baked they have that professional look

3. Scrub that, it's a lie, I don't care if it makes them look more professional, they're just so much cleaner. You pop one in the tin, fill and bake then once cooled it pops out of the tin and you're left with a practically clean tin. No scrubbing dried cake mixture again!

4. There's so many different flavours you can make and many you can then drown with syrups which soak through making some of the moistest cakes ever.

So tempted by the photo of the cake (which by the way was on Good to Know Recipes @GTKrecipes *) I checked I had all the ingredients then phoned my mum as she grows her own rhubarb and was due at mine in half an hour. Good timing, she hot footed it to the rhubarb patch and brought some fresher than fresh rhubarb.

This recipe doesn't even require you to cream the butter and sugar first. It's literally an all in one with the rhubarb added once everything else is mixed. Ok so technically it's an all in two but hey, it's eeeeeeeeeasy peeeeeeeeeasy

Let's go!

Preheat the oven to 180/160c fan

250g self raising flour
1 tsp ground ginger
150g butter (I used margarine)
150g caster sugar
3 eggs
300g rhubarb (chopped into 2-3cm pieces)

1 loaf tin - 2lb / 1kg lined with a loaf tin liner if you have one or greased and lined with greaseproof paper.

Whisk together the flour, ginger, butter, sugar and eggs until combined then stir in the chopped rhubarb. 

Look at the colour! (That's my mum's chicken's free range eggs for you!)



Spoon into the lined loaf tin and level out. Don't worry it's a very thick batter filled with rhubarb chunks so it needs a lot of help to level it out. 



Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Serve warm or cold on it's own or go crazy with cream or custard 

And as always.......enjoy!




* recipe courtesy of Good to Know Recipes. I love this site and have baked many delicious things from them. They're a really friendly bunch who reply to tweets and I even won a Jamie Oliver recipe book from them not long after I joined Twitter. If you're looking for recipes and inspiration, head on over!




No comments:

Post a Comment