Sunday 1 June 2014

Oreo cupcakes - oh my!

Oreos are epic
Ace
Ingenious
Delicious
Amazing

I love love love them. So what better than to incorporate them into a cupcake? I've seen a fair few floating around on Facebook recently and needed to bake something chocolatey for two friends - to say thank you to one friend for going out of her way to get me a sugar thermometer for macaron making (watch this space!) and to congratulate the other rather crazy one for taking part in a 100 mile walk "just because". Both like chocolate = sorted!

Researching recipes, most of them have an Oreo baked into the bottom of the cupcake. Some only use half an Oreo with the cream side facing up and some use a whole one. I plumped for the whole one. There were a few variants on the cupcake batter and I almost made my standard chocolate cake batter but decided to try a different one instead:

Ingredients:
2 packets of Oreo biscuits (you'll need 24 biscuits)
--
160g plain flour 
35g cocoa powder
225g caster sugar 
3 level tsp baking powder
65g margarine
190ml milk
2 eggs
--
90g butter / margarine
130g cream cheese
350g icing sugar 

Makes 12

12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases
Preheat the oven to 170/160 fan. 

Mix the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, baking powder and margarine together until crumbly looking. Mix the eggs and milk together then add little by little making sure the batter is well incorporated.


Put an Oreo in the bottom of each muffin case. How good does that look already!


It's a loose batter so I used a ladle to fill each muffin case about 3/4 full 



Bake for 20-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.  Excuse my messy tin, I made a mess with the ladle.



While they're cooling get on with the frosting. I find cream cheese frosting a lot lighter tasting, so you can have more!

Mix together the butter, cream cheese and icing sugar until stiff. Smash up 6 Oreos. You need to bash them to a fine crumb if you want to pipe the frosting or if you just want to splodge on top then a chunkier crumb is fine (plus you get crunchier bits when you eat the cupcake!). Stir into the frosting 




When the cupcakes have cooled completely, pipe or splodge on the frosting then chop 6 Oreos in half and place a half on top of each cupcake.

Oh my oh my oh my!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment