Tuesday 9 September 2014

Bodhi's birthday cake

Happy 3rd birthday to Bodhi

Here's the Buzz Lightyear rocket cake I was asked to make for him.

It's a Victoria sponge cake with buttercream and jam filling and all hand made embellishments. I scratched my head a bit over the Buzz head but decided to just go for it and make it myself out of fondant. After I made it I decided to ask my 4 year old if he could tell who it was. When he answered Buzz Lightyear, that made me stupidly ecstatic!



I baked two large square sponges, sandwiched them together with buttercream and jam, then hand drew a rocket template which I placed on top of the square cake and cut out the centre section of the rocket. (I then sent a photo to my friends to see if they could guess what it was). Thankfully they said rocket.


Using the bits of leftover cake I cut out two wings for the rocket and attached them to the cake with buttercream before crumb coating the whole cake.


My heart rate always shoots up when I work with fondant. You only really get one shot once it's rolled and it's trickier when you're covering a non round shape. But phew, I did it. I used coloured fondant to make the rest of the rocket embellishments and then it was done!


No comments:

Post a Comment