Friday 5 December 2014

Gingerbread and white choc cream cupcakes

I was trying to choose something for my son's school Christmas fair that would go down well and be festive and tasty.

I'm a sucker for ginger and gingerbread so a gingerbread cupcake was something I just had to try. They're a ginger cake with a white chocolate cream on top. I hope they went down well. Half were gone by the time I saw them so fingers crossed people enjoyed them. I originally wanted to buy this plunger to top them with a little gingerbread man but I'd left it too late to order and it'd sold out. But I got my hands on some gingerbread man sprinkles which were perfect.



Unfortunately I dropped the box on the way to school. Luckily it had a lid on so they were still edible and it's a good job the frosting sets quite firm as that really helped the damage control. The receptionist assured me they still looked great 

If you fancy having a go then here's the recipe:
200g stork
200g dark muscovado sugar
4 eggs
1 tbsp treacle
1 tbsp golden syrup 
200g self raising flour 
1 tsp cinnamon
5 tsp ground ginger (yes 5!)
5 pieces of stem ginger (chopped)

100ml double cream
100g white chocolate 
100g unsalted butter
200g icing sugar 

Preheat oven to 170/150 fan and pop your muffin cases into a muffin tin.

Beat the margarine and sugar for 5 minutes until lighter in colour and fluffy. 


Add two eggs and mix well then add half the flour and mix. Add the last two eggs and the flour, ginger and cinnamon, treacle and syrup.


Spoon into the cases then sprinkle the stem ginger into each dollop of mixture.


Bake for 25-30 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean and leave to cool ready for frosting.



To make the frosting, gently heat the double cream in a small pan and once it begins to bubble, take off the heat and add the white chocolate. In another bowl beat together the icing sugar and butter until fluffy. Once the cream and chocolate mix has cooled to body temperature (it doesn't take long), mix into the icing sugar/butter mixture and whisk until it stiffens slightly. Pipe or dollop onto your cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles, ground ginger, stem ginger, chocolate flakes......whatever you want 

Christmas in a cupcake!





No comments:

Post a Comment