Friday 13 March 2015

Comic Relief Red Nose Biscuits

Bless my boys, they're running around shouting "Happy Comic Relief Day"



We're off to a birthday party tomorrow and I asked if I could bring something with us. So I've combined a red nose themed bake with a party food gift. Haha! Two birds, one stone. 

I pinned these a few weeks ago but once I saw the biscuit recipe, I decided to go with my tried and tested biscuit recipe which I'll share with you now. This is perfect for when you need biscuits to keep their shape. It doesn't spread or grow, they come out of the oven the same size as they go in.

You can flavour your biscuits with chocolate powder, cocoa, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom etc. but these are just vanilla because of the jam centre. They're really just jammy dodgers in disguise. They'd be great to bake with kids too. Have a go!

Ingredients:
100g caster sugar 
100g butter/margarine
1 medium egg
1 tsp vanilla essence 
275g plain flour
-
5 tbsp icing sugar
5 tbsp jam (strawberry or raspberry to achieve a red nose of course!)

Makes 20 complete biscuits

Mix together either by hand or electric whisk/mixer, the sugar and butter. Add the egg and mix well then add the vanilla essence. Finally mix in the flour and it will come together as a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 20 minutes . You can even keep the dough until the next day if you want to make it in advance.

Preheat oven to 190/170 fan. Lightly flour your worksurface and roll out the pastry. I used a 6cm round cutter to cut out the circles. Place on baking sheets. Once you've cut them all out, use a smaller cutter to cut out the noses of half of the biscuits*. I used a 2.5cm cutter. 


Bake for 8-10 minutes until just turning a shade darker. Leave to cool then mix together the icing sugar and jam. Spread some into the middle of one of the whole biscuits and spread around but not to the edge, leave a small gap. Add the top biscuit (one with a whole) and voila!




I used a black edible pen to draw on the faces but you could use some thick icing dotted on.

*Make sure you cut out noses from half the circles. On my second baking tray I forgot and remembered once they came out of the oven. I was lucky though that the biscuits were still warm and I was able to punch holes through them. Phew!




No comments:

Post a Comment